- About Us
- Visiting Toronto
- Contact Us
TDJ Special Projects - Guidelines
TDJ Special Projects is an initiative created by Toronto Downtown Jazz (TDJ), producers of the annual TD Toronto Jazz Festival. The initiative encourages the creation, development and presentation of special projects by jazz musicians in the City of Toronto. Through a juried process, successful applicants will be awarded a bursary and obtain marketing and public relations support from TDJ.
Why TDJ Special Projects
The city of Toronto features one of the most vibrant jazz communities in North America. With the Special Projects initiative, Toronto Downtown Jazz provides support for the outstanding jazz musicians who work and live in Toronto, while at the same time establishing a year-round presence on Toronto’s jazz scene.
- Special Projects are open to individual musicians and ensembles of any size.
- Special Projects are open to jazz musicians of any age or career status. However, the musician submitting the application must be recognized by his/her peers as an active member of the Toronto jazz scene.
- Projects must take place between January 15 and April 30, 2015.
- The Special Project for which the application is submitted must take place at a venue located in the city of Toronto. For the purposes of this application, the city of Toronto is defined as any address whose postal code begins with M.
- Special Projects are defined as projects which fall outside the usual scope of the submitting performer or group’s work (i.e. not "just another gig").
- All participating artists must be paid for their involvement in the project.
- The Special Project must fall into one of the many sub-genres of “jazz” including (but not limited to): big band, free/improvised music, fusion, post-bop/contemporary, swing, traditional, world/ethnic.
- Musicians/ensembles may only be awarded Special Project recognition once in a calendar year.
- Special Project support is intended for single-date or short-run events only and not for ongoing (i.e. year-round) support.
- Musicians/ensembles may only submit one application per deadline.
The following projects are not eligible:
- Applications submitted by venues or schools.
- Applications from artists’ agents, managers, management companies, record labels or distribution companies.
- Applications submitted for events taking place outside of the city of Toronto.
- Studio recording projects and general CD releases (i.e. releases without a specific release event).
- Fundraising concerts or events.
- Projects presented within the context of a festival.
The submission deadline is October 17, 2014. Four projects will be chosen.
Successful applicants will be offered marketing and public relations support from TDJ, accessing a wealth of resources and contacts typically reserved for official TDJ presentations including:
- A $500 bursary in support of the applicant’s marketing efforts
- A featured article in a TDJ e-newsletter (over 15,000 subscribers)
- Prominent positioning on the torontojazz.com home page and a dedicated event page
- A dedicated TDJ press release, sent out to all of the local major jazz media
- Listing on the Toronto Jazz Festival Facebook page (almost 3,800 "likes")
- Dedicated posting on the TDJ Artistic Director’s blog
- An on-location portrait shoot or performance shot courtesy of Tracey Nolan Studios for use in press kits and on your website
- A professionally produced "highlight reel" video of the project (2 cameras, editing), featuring artist interviews and/or performance clips, available following the project for the successful applicant’s own use
Download the TDJ Special Projects application here. Please read the entire application carefully to ensure your project meets the eligibility criteria and for complete submission details. The application can be completed by hand or electronically.
Mail or hand deliver completed applications to:
82 Bleecker Street
To submit electronically, use the online submission form. Do not submit your application by email or fax.
For more information about TDJ Special Projects, please contact Artistic Director Josh Grossman at (416) 928-2033 ext. 27 or email@example.com.